WEF is seeking a Communications Intern who is currently attending Windsor High School (WHS) or has recently graduated from WHS and is attending an accredited college/university.
The Intern will contribute a minimum of 100 hours managing communications for WEF, including website and social media updates, newsletter preparation, mailings and correspondence. The Intern will interact closely with the WEF Board of Directors and take direction from the President or other officers.
The internship is unpaid, and could be performed either as a summer-only position, or throughout the school year. After successfully serving in the role and preparing a brief report on the internship, the Intern will be awarded a scholarship of up to $1,000 to a post-secondary school of his or her choice. Hours are flexible, except for a brief, regularly scheduled weekly touch-base, a monthly meeting, and fundraising events.
The ideal candidate must:
- Be a WHS junior or senior at time of selection, or a recent graduate of WHS . If a WHS graduate, must be attending an accredited college or university.
- Commit to a minimum of 100 hours.
- Hold a minimum 3.0 GPA.
- Provide a letter of recommendation from a teacher, coach, administrator, or faculty member.
- Possess excellent writing skills and grammar; and have ability to publish engaging posts (to get likes, shares and action).
- Have proficiency with social media and ability to maintain a hosted website.
- Be highly organized with strong follow-through, recordkeeping, and persistency skills.
- Have own transportation to meetings (1 night per month) and events.
- Experience with any of the following is preferred: WordPress, MailChimp, Facebook Groups, HTML, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Photoshop, Google Drive.
- Collaborate with WEF Board of Directors to create a content schedule.
- Post approved content to website and social media according to schedule.
- Prepare newsletter, appeals, ad books or other printed or digital materials.
- Process mailings.
- Attend WEF events to report on the event and take pictures.
- Interview grantees about their WEF-funded programs.
- Write promotional articles for publishing.
- Recommend ways to reach donors and participants to generate more funds and in-kind donations and drive attendance to WEF’s events.
- Assist with clean-up of website.
- Handle filing and other recordkeeping duties, both digital and paper.